Last year my daughter decided to train for the NYC Marathon. For the past several months she has been following a strict training plan and logging her miles. She joined a running club to help with the pacing for the practice long runs of 18, 19 and 20 miles. With race day just 17 days away, she knows that she has put in the necessary work without cutting corners. She is ready, and no matter the result she knows that she has given it her all.
If you are a senior or are a parent of a high school senior, the college application process can feel much like preparing for a marathon. It is a long arduous process that takes focus and metal stamina. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed with all the requirements and deadlines. However, now is not the time to take the easy way out, lose your focus or opt out of the “optional” pieces of the process. In the end, students who go the distance have applications that reflect their best selves.
Now is the time to wrap up the loose ends.
- Revisit schools you may consider applying early decision
- Attend a class or two at your top choice schools
- Meet with a professor in your intended major at your top choice school
- Interview at colleges that offer the opportunity. It’s a great way for you to get to know a school better, and of course it is another chance for the school to learn more about you too
- Attend open houses on campus. These events often have opportunities to hear from student panels as well as a variety of admission staff.
- Attend the college fair at your school. Fairs are another terrific chance to introduce yourself to the regional rep or collect last minute information for schools already on your list .
- Polish your college essays and don’t forget to complete the “optional” essays. Don’t miss an opportunity to tell colleges something new about you.
- Put the finishing touches on your ZeeMee video. It’s a great way to personalize your application.
With just a few short weeks left before early decision and early action deadlines, stay the course. You’ve got this. Finish strong!
© 2017, Admissions on Track. All rights reserved.