It’s almost spring and if you are a high school junior or senior, ‘tis the season for college visits. Whether you are a junior visiting colleges for the first time or a senior visiting for that second or even third time, visiting campus is the best way to determine whether the college is the right fit for you.
If you are a high school junior, spring is a great time to see campus while classes are still in session and students are on campus. Don’t forget to sit in on the information session while you are there. Information sessions offer a wealth of pertinent college specific information.
For seniors, the acceptance letters are rolling in. Some seniors have already committed to a school and sent in their admissions deposits. Congratulations! For others, the decision may not be so clear. Revisiting campus once you are accepted can help determine which college is right for you.
No matter what stage you are in with your college search, here are a few helpful facts and tips to help prepare for your college visits.
- Select what type of visit You have the option of visiting campus during an official open house, accepted students days or a typical school day.
- Take the official tour No matter if it’s your first or third visit to campus, the student led tour is always the best way to hit the campus highlights. It gives you a chance to hear about the college from a current student.
- Explore campus off tour Discovering campus on your own or with a friend who is a student at the college will give you a chance to see campus off script. Admissions tours are geared to show campus highlights in a limited amount of time. Exploring campus on your own will give you a more personal, insider’s look. Visit the campus coffee house, eat in the dining hall and check out the gym. Don’t forget to check out the college town and surrounding area.
- Sit in on a class Attend a college class in a subject area that interests you. If possible attend two classes. Most colleges offer students a list of classes they can attend as a guest student. Contact the admissions office before your visit.
- Meet with faculty or a coach. Arrange to meet with faculty in your academic area of interest. If you are considering majoring, minoring or participating in the performing or visual arts, consider meeting with faculty to learn more about the campus programs. If you a junior athlete, contact the coach (but be mindful of the NCAA rules).
- Stay overnight on campus Many colleges offer official overnight visits for senior prospective or admitted students. Admissions will assign you a student to shadow for the day and stay with overnight in the dorms. If you know a student on campus, you can arrange for your own overnight campus stay.
© 2015, Admissions on Track. All rights reserved.